Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Many things are true at the same time.


I love doing this work/ this work is incredibly difficult and I'm weary of it.

I can't wait to see my finished thesis, to hold it in my hands/ I can't imagine it ever being done to my own satisfaction.

There are brilliant moments glinting here and there/ it's not rigorous or poetic enough.

I should put more auto-ethnography in/ there's already too much of me in there.

I think the work is actually kind of okay. I think it's getting there.


It's weird that all of this thinking and writing is condensing down into finite pages. Strange that I am still inspired by this project, even while I feel like the process of doing this degree has cost me a pound of flesh. It's like a secret between me and the thesis, because to others this degree is a drawn-out process that never seems to progress, always with surprise 'are you still doing it? How many years has it been now?'

But, my thesis and I, we know that it's a slow dance, a feast, a labour of discipline and commitment and doubt and elation. It's coming back to it, and back to it, and back to it with patience and interest. The work simultaneously exhausts and energises me. And it casts me back on myself again and again, testing my commitment, my skill and, most of all, my grit. But I'm still here and it's still shaping up under my careful hands and soon to be done.

I've just got to keep writing. I've just got to keep trusting my instincts and keep writing.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it Rosie! The chapter you sent me was wonderful, so easy to read and full of good information, and considering how much I've read on the subject that's impressive. Keep it up xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good vibes, Danielle! That you liked the chapter was a huge encouragement- I thought that if you thought it was accurate then I really had nothing to prove to anyone else! x

      Delete